Monday, August 21, 2023

Stop Blaming Anime for Society’s Modern Problems

Lately, I have been seeing anime getting a bad wrap once again and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. As I stated in the title, anime is not to blame for today’s societal issues. None whatsoever! So let's just stop with all that nonsense. If you fully disagree with me or even somewhat, then read on. If you don't already know what anime is, anime is just animation aka cartoons made from Japan. Anime is short for animation and animation equals cartoons. They're all the same. Only difference is they are made in a different country. Different countries have different cultural standards. The stories are most of the time, fictional with fictional characters. None of it is real on the fictional side of it (Duh). 

I wanted to address the toxicity of people's thoughts on anime and how they're tying it to our political issues. I hear of people talking about how anime links to transgenderism, LGBTQ, SJWs, feminism, etc. simply because many of them like it. Basically, putting all the blame on anime. Just because many of them like it, doesn't mean anime should be blamed for their awkwardness. There's many non LGBTQ folks who are also interested in anime. It's not anime's fault nor is it theirs. Sure yeah, anime is popular with the millennial & gen z generation but again, anime is not the issue.

Most people get into anime when they’re entering their awkward stage in life (pre-puberty or puberty stage). It’s the most awkward time of our lives and it’s the time when we’re most easily influenced. When I watched anime, in my most awkward stage in life, there was hardly any LGBTQ in them, if any at all. A lot of the stuff I watched was very kid friendly and age appropriate. Not all anime has these kinds of influences. If your kid or teen really wants to get into anime, you as the parent, must help them find what is appropriate for them to watch for their age. You  have to be extremely careful about what your teens are watching or are up to. As I said, at this age, this is when they are the most influenced because they are trying to find out who they are as a person. We've all been there.

I can definitely relate to this because that was exactly the time that I got into anime as well. I was so incredibly awkward and uncomfortable in my own skin. I found comfort in anime because it distracted me from figuring out all that stuff because I didn't want to think about it. I just really didn't care until I got much older and my brain had fully developed. I also got into anime because the story telling was so different from American animation.

I know anime does have some of this stuff in it but it is in fact, the parent’s job to monitor what their kids are watching and or doing. If they don’t want their kids to be influenced in any way shape or form, it’s their job to research these shows and see if it’s safe for their children/teens to watch. You now have to do this with modern American entertainment. Same thing with monitoring their smart devices. Kids can be easily influenced on all of these social media apps but like I said, the parents have to keep a close watch on what their kids are doing. That said, anime is not to blame here. In case you haven't figured it out already, their parents are 100% the ones at fault here.

TLDR, anime isn’t the problem for today’s societal issues. If anyone is to blame, it would 100% be the parents. It’s their job as the parent to monitor everything their young ones are watching and or doing. A word of advice for parents reading this, if you're that worried about any anime having weird stuff in it that you think isn't appropriate for your young ones, do some research on it; or watch it yourself first and see if you think it's safe for your kiddo to watch and enjoy. So stop blaming anime, stop blaming smart devices, and stop blaming social media, or whatever. and instead, start blaming yourselves for not doing a better job as a parent for not monitoring your kids properly. I have seen over 200 anime series and I know for a fact that not every anime, has this weird influencing crap in it. You just have to be aware of what kinda content is in that anime first before you expose the young generation to it.

By the way, I'm just as tired of the LGBTQ community trying to influence the younger generation with their crap. If it's your own kid, fine but stop trying to influence other people's children. I have no issues with adults who are gender dysphoric or LGBTQ or whatever, as long as they leave minors alone and are not influencing them with this stuff at all then that's fine. Kids can figure that stuff out later after their brains have fully developed. I'm also just tired of anime being tied into people's politics. Anime is meant to be for entertainment purposes only. Same with video games and movies. None of this should have anything to do with politics or other people's ideologies. Entertainment is meant to be a way to escape from this awful reality that we are currently experiencing. Since so many people love entertainment, it's an easy way for this crap to sneak in there so sadly, you do have to be careful now and research what's safe and what isn't. Doesn't matter if it's anime, or American cartoons, or video games. You have to check all of it.

With that, I think that about covers this post. Thank you all for reading and I hope you all have a lovely week.

No comments: