Thursday, May 13, 2021

Top 10 Manga Series I Wish Would Get an Anime Reboot

 

With the rise in popularity of anime reboots lately, I figured now would be a better time than any to write about my top 10 series that I wish would get an anime reboot! This is a post I have been meaning to write for awhile now! As of right now, Dragon Quest, Fruits Basket, and Shaman King are currently airing their anime reboots. All of these series had anime adaptations a long time ago and now that the manga is complete for them all, an anime reboot was green-lit!

So let's take a look at the series that I would like to see rebooted. All of these series have already had an anime adaptation and the manga is now complete for all of them. I will number them in no particular order because I want to see all of them rebooted equally. Also keep in mind that I have either watched most of the anime or read most of the manga for every series listed in this post. Now let's get on with it!

Series number 1!

Mahou Sensei Negima!


 Mahou Sensei Negima began publishing in Shounen Magazine (weekly), February 2003. The series inspired 2 anime seasons as well as 4 OVAs and a movie. It also has a sequel anime called UQ Holder. The manga ended its publication run at volume 38 back in March 2012. Season 1 covered up to volume 19 and season 2 only went up to volume 23. Also, season 2 went with its own original story. There's still 15 volumes worth of content that have yet to be animated. I would love to see this series fully adapted from start to finish and accurately follows with the manga's story.

Series number 2!

Kodocha


Kodocha ran for 10 volumes in Ribbon Magazine back in 1994. It inspired a 102 episode TV anime series and an OVA in 1996. The original 90s anime followed the manga pretty well up until episode 67. The rest of the anime is just filler. The ending of the original manga still has yet to be animated. With the popularity of Fruits Basket, I would love to see this series make a come back!

Series number 3!

Tegami Bachi


Tegami Bachi was a long running shounen series that was published from 2006-2007, complete with 20 volumes. It inspired 2 anime seasons each with 25 episodes. The anime was fairly accurate up until episode 39.
That said, the anime ends at volume 10 chapter 38, then the series splits off from the original manga from there. There's still 10 more volumes of the manga that have yet to be adapted to anime. The art in this series is very beautiful and I honestly think a complete reboot of this anime would do very well in today's time.

Series number 4!

Shugo Chara!


Shugo Chara was a very popular shoujo manga in Nakayoshi magazine back in 2006-2007. The manga is complete with 12 volumes and it inspired 3 anime seasons.
The first season adapted up until volume 10 chapter 41 of the manga. The other 2 anime seasons were all filler episodes. There's still 2 more volumes that have not been adapted yet to anime. At this point, I would like to see this series get entirely rebooted that follows the manga from start to end. There has been a huge decline in popularity with children's magical girl anime series and if this gets rebooted, I truly think this would give the genre popularity again.  

Series number 5!

Rekka no Honoo


Flame of Recca published a total of 33 manga volumes. It inspired an anime series of 42 episodes and a special. The anime adapts only up to volume 16 chapter 157. There's still 17 volumes worth of content that have not been animated yet. Since Dragon Quest and Shaman King are doing fairly well, I think this shounen battle series would do quite well. I remember the original 90s anime left on quite a cliff hanger so I would definitely like to see the whole series adapted to anime and see it to the official ending.

Series number 6!

Mamotte! Lollipop


Mamotte! Lollipop was published in 2002-2005 in Nakayoshi magazine, complete with 7 volumes. It inspired a 13 episode anime series. The anime only covered up to volume 4 chapter 17. There's still 3 volumes that haven't been adapted to anime. Though not quite as popular as Shugo Chara, I think a reboot of this anime would still do very well and maybe even bring back some nostalgia for  the children's magical girl genre. 

Series number 7!

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Katekyo Hitman Reborn ran in Shonen Jump Weekly magazine back in 2004. It published a total of 42 volumes. VIZ Media licensed the manga but dropped the series at volume 16. The manga inspired a 203 episode anime series in 2006 and an ONA in 2010. The anime is reported to have a total of 46 filler episodes and a recap episode. The anime adapts up to volume 30, chapter 282 leaving only 12 more volumes left to adapt. I would love to see a reboot of this anime without any filler episodes. It would esentially be like a Katekyo Hitman Reborn "Brotherhood" series. I would say Kai but DBZ Kai only used recycled footage for its reboot. FMA Brotherhood used entirely new animation and I feel that Reborn should get a reboot from start to finish with new animation to follow closely with the original manga content.

Series number 8!

Rurouni Kenshin


Rurouni Kenshin was published Shounen Jump Weekly magazine in 1994 and released a total of 28 volumes. The anime began airing 2 years after the manga publication year. It covered only 18 volumes leaving just 10 volumes to be adapted to anime. 37 episodes of the original 90s anime are entirely filler which is about of the series. While I don't support the author’s taste in kiddy pronz, I do still enjoy this series. Because of the author’s actions, I think the chance of this series seeing a complete reboot will likely not happen any time soon but one can dream!

Series number 9!

Ranma ½

Ranma ½ began publishing in Shounen Sunday weekly magazine in 1988. It published a total of 38 volumes. The anime leaves off at volume 22, chapter 229 which means 16 volumes have not been adapted to anime yet. The series inspired a 161 anime series that aired from 1989~1992, 3 OVAs and 3 movies. Nearly half of the original anime is filler, a total of 72 reported episodes. With Rumiko Takahashi sensei’s work being so popular (especially InuYasha) I have no doubt that a filler free anime reboot of Ranma ½ would do really well in today’s time.

Series number 10!

Bokura ga Ita

Bokura ga Ita began publishing in Betsucomi magazine in 2002, complete with 16 compiled volumes. The original anime adapted up to volume 8 chapter 31 leaving half of the series to be adapted to anime. The original anime does a good job following the original manga content. However, since the anime aired in 2006 (15 years ago), it would make more sense to just reanimate it from start to end with today’s modern animation. 

 

And that wraps  up my top 10 anime I wish would get an anime reboot! I’m sure there’s plenty more series that I’m missing that deserve a reboot. If I happen think of another 10 series I would like reanimated, I will make a part 2 post! Until then, this is all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed this post and feel free to leave a comment of which series you would like to get a reboot. I’d love to know!

1 comment:

ArchivesofanOtaku said...

Update: I am in complete and total shock! As of yesterday, it was announced that a Rurouni Kenshin anime series will be premiering next year! The anime will re-adapt the main manga series which I think means that this will be a reboot. I'm hoping it will cover the entire 28 volumes of the main manga series. I am so, so excited for this announcement because this was one on my list that I was sure wouldn't get a new anime adaptation due to circumstances with the author. But I was wrong!

Another anime series will be getting a reboot that I'm happy about. It's not on my list Blue Exorcist will be getting a new adaption as well. I don't think it's a continuation of the 2 seasons that have come out already. Sadly, the manga is still not complete which was why this series did not make it onto my list so I'm sure the anime will catch up eventually. I'm hoping that they will stop and wait for more manga content instead of creating filler episodes. So yes, some big and exciting news to end the year!